The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg at one glance! Here you will find a brief summary of the most important facts and figures.
At one glance
Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
National language: Luxembourgish (Lëtzebuergesch)
Area: 2.586 sq kilometres / 999 sq miles
Form of government: Constitutional Monarchy under a system of Parliamentary Democracy
The Grand Duchy enjoys a temperate climate without extremes. It profits from the beneficial and moderating influence of the sea, but the sea winds (SW and NW) shed a great part of their moisture before reaching the Luxembourg frontiers. The period from May to mid-October is particularly suitable for vacations. While July and August are the warmest, May and June are the sunniest months. September and October often offer an "Indian Summer". For the celebrations by the end of the year the weather gets dry, cold and snowy.
Money & Currency
The official currency unit of Luxemburg is the euro. Foreign travellers are free to import and export notes and other means of payment in euro or foreign currencies without any restriction. Lots of automatic bank terminals are accessible 24 hours a day.
Convertible units can be exchanged at the office windows of the large banks. Over 150 banks welcome international investors, focussing on asset management. Though the banks have no standard opening hours, most of them are open from Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 4.30 p.m. Some offices open on Saturdays.
Credit cards (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, etc.) are generally accepted everywhere.
In many retail shops in Luxembourg-City, the value added tax (VAT) can be deducted from the products’ prices for travellers residing outside the EC.
>>> www.do.etat.lu – section "Voyages"
Fast money transfer service throughout the world, available amongst others at the Post Office.
For information about passports and visas, please contact:
Ministère des Affaires étrangères
5, rue Notre-Dame | L-2240 Luxembourg
Phone +352 247-8300 | Fax +352 22 29 07
Tourists (travellers) who come from a member state of the European Union, and who enter the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg, can import, duty-free, within the limits of the quantities mentioned hereafter, the products subject to duty, under the condition that:
- they transport the products themselves
- the products will be used by themselves or their family members
the products have been bought according to the market conditions prevailing in the European Union
|800 pieces (*)||spirits >22% alcohol degree||10 l (*)|
|cigarillos||400 pieces (*)||intermediate products||20 l (*)|
|cigars||200 pieces (*)||wine (of which a max. of 60l sparkling wine)||90 l (*)|
|tobacco||1 kg (*)||beer||110 l (*)|
|other articles||no limit|
(*) Travellers under 17 years of age are not allowed to import such products.
Please note: If the travellers land directly at the airport of Luxembourg, coming from a region which is not part of the duty territory and/or VAT territory of the European Union (e.g. the Canary Islands), the quantities are reduced as described hereafter.
Tourist (travellers) who come from a third party country (not a member state of the European Union) are allowed the following duties:
|cigarettes||200 pieces||spirits >22% alcohol degree||1 l|
|or cigarillos||100 pieces||or spirits < 22% alcohol degree, sparkling wine||2 l|
|or cigars||50 pieces|
|or tobaco||250 gr|
|Those products cannot be accumulated||Those products cannot be accumulated|
|perfume||50 gr||AND quiet wines||2 l|
|medicine||personal needs||toilet water||0,25 l|
|other articles||175 € (*)|
(*) For travellers under 15 years: 90 €.
We would like to draw the attention of our readers to the fact that the import of living animals and plants and of products of wild fauna or flora (with regard to extinction) regulated by the Convention of Washington, is almost totally forbidden, with the exception of some cases stated by law. To avoid all problems (confiscation of goods) at your arrival, we advise you not to buy or transport those kinds of products (e.g. made from ivory, coral, orchids, etc.). If in doubt, please make inquiries at the customs authorities beforehand.
Road vehicles admitted without customs documents
Temporary importation of any road vehicles, including carvans and trailers, applies in the following cases:
- if they are imported by a person established outside the customs area of the European Union and
- if they are used for their private use and
if they are registered outside the customs area of the European Union in the name of a person established outside the Union.
Vehicles imported temporarily without payment of duty may be driven by persons other than the owner or the holder of the vehicle documents, provided that they normally reside abroad. If re-exportation is not guaranteed, these vehicles may stay in the customs area of the European Union for a continuous or non-continuous period of 6 months in any twelve-month period. In this case, temporary importation shall be allowed without payment of bonds or compliance with formalities. The same provision applies to leisure aircraft registered for international travel and pleasure boats.
This simplification of customs procedures also applies to spare parts, accessories and equipment normally imported with the means of transport.
Road vehicles for which customs documentation is required
This applies to vehicles which do not simultaneously fulfil all the conditions mentioned above. Temporary importation is allowed provided that the appropriate single customs documents IM5, EU5, COM5 or a travel carnet or a triptyque is at hand.
Luggage of persons established abroad
Temporary exemption from customs duties and taxes shall apply to personal effects of travellers from third countries and transported about their person or in their luggage:
Clothing, underclothes and toilet articles, the objects listed below:
- personal jewellery,
- two cameras plus a reasonable quantity of film and accessories,
- two cine-cameras plus a reasonable quantity of film,
- one portable projector for cine films or transparencies,
- a pair of binoculars,
- a portable musical instrument,
- a portable record player with records,
- a portable sound recording or playback machine (including dictaphone) with tapes,
- a portable radio,
- a portable television set,
- a portable video camera and recorder,
- a portable typewriter,
- a portable calculator,
- a portable computer,
- a wheelchair,
- a baby carriage,
- sports equipment such as a tent or other camping equipment, fishing tackle, mountaineering equipment, two hunting weapons with cartridges, bicycle without engine, canoe or kayak less than 5,5 m long, skis, tennis rackets, wind surfing board and accessories, hang-glider.
- a portable dialysis machine and similar medical equipment as well as disposable articles imported to be used with this equipment.
Other objects are only admitted with a temporary customs document, on deposit of any duties and taxes involved.
Goods from the customs area of the European Union, but not belonging to the fiscal territory, are admitted on exemption, provided that:
- they are destined for re-exportation, without undergoing any procession.
- they are in free circulation in the exporting country,
- they were acquired according to the tax conditions of the internal market, and did not benefit from any exemption whatever,
- they are not consumable goods,
they belong to a person established outside the fiscal territory of the European Union.
However, temporary tax-free admission is not granted if the goods were not acquired in accordance with the taxation rules in that country, or have benefited from any exemption whatever, and the importer is not entitled to deduct the tax already paid.
Personal effects coming from the VAT territory of the European Union are admitted without any restriction, provided they have not benefited from any exemption whatever.
Th 01/01/2015 - New Year's Day
Mo 06/04/2015 - Easter Monday
Fr 01/05/2015 - Labour Day
Th 14/05/2015 - Ascension
Mo 25/05/2015 - Whit Monday
Tu 23/06/2015 - National Holiday
Sa 15/08/2015 - Assumption
Su 01/11/2015 - All-Saint's Day
Fr 25/12/2015 - Christmas Day
Sa 26/12/2015 - St Stephen's Day/Boxing Day
Fr 01/01/2016 - New Year's Day
Mo 28/03/2016 - Easter Monday
Su 01/05/2016 - Labour Day
Th 05/05/2016 - Ascension
Mo 16/05/2016 - Whit Monday
Sa 23/06/2016 - National Holiday
Mo 15/08/2016 - Assumption
Tu 01/11/2016 - All-Saint's Day
Su 25/12/2016 - Christmas Day
Mo 26/12/2016 - St Stephen's Day/Boxing Day
School Year 2014/2015
The school year begins on Monday, 15th September, 2014, and ends on Wednesday, 15th July, 2015.
- le congé de la Toussaint commence le samedi 25 octobre 2014 et finit le dimanche 2 novembre 2014 ;
- les vacances de Noël commencent le samedi 20 décembre 2014 et finissent le dimanche 4 janvier 2015 ;
- le congé de Carnaval commence le lundi 14 février 2015 et finit le dimanche 22 février 2015 ;
- les vacances de Pâques commencent le samedi 4 avril 2015 et finissent le dimanche 19 avril 2015 ;
- jour férié légal : le vendredi 1er mai 2015 ;
- jour de congé pour l'Ascension : le jeudi 14 mai 2015 ;
- le congé de la Pentecôte commence le samedi 23 mai 2015 et finit le dimanche 31 mai 2015 ;
- jour de la congé pour la célébration publique de l'anniversaire de SAR le Grand-Duc : le mardi 23 juin 2015 ;
les vacances d'été commencent le 16 juillet 2015 et finissent le lundi 14 septembre 2015.
School Year 2015-2016
The school year begins on Tuesday, 15th September, 2015, and ends on Friday, 15th July, 2016.
- le congé de la Toussaint commence le samedi 31 octobre 2015 et finit le dimanche 8 novembre 2015 ;
- les vacances de Noël commencent le samedi 19 décembre 2015 et finissent le dimanche 3 janvier 2016 ;
- le congé de Carnaval commence le lundi 6 février 2016 et finit le dimanche 14 février 2016 ;
- les vacances de Pâques commencent le samedi 26 mars 2016 et finissent le dimanche 10 avril 2016 ;
- jour férié légal : le dimanche 1er mai 2016 ;
- jour de congé pour l'Ascension : le jeudi 5 mai 2016 ;
- le congé de la Pentecôte commence le samedi 14 mai 2016 et finit le dimanche 22 mai 2016 ;
- jour de congé pour la célébration publique de l'anniversaire de SAR le Grand-Duc : le jeudi 23 juin 2016 ;
- les vacances d'été commencent samedi le 16 juillet 2015 et finissent le mercredi 14 septembre 2016.